Copyright 2023 - Cinema and Theatre Historical Society of Australia Inc.

The Paragon Theatre, 1 McNamara Street, Queenstown.

Built at a cost of over £5000 by the Paragon Picture Co Pty Ltd as a "talkie theatre", the Paragon Theatre officially opened on 28 October 1933. It was built to replace the 1890s built "Metropol" Theatre (Hall), for long-time exhibitor Laurie Miers.

New Western Electric equipment (replacing previous older equipment) was installed and operating from 20/01/1934. 'Mirrophonic' sound equipment was installed 10/07/1937, at that time the Paragon was screening four times a week.

The theatre closed in 1983 and was briefly used for indoor cricket. It reopened on 1/01/2009 after three years of restoration as a 60 seat luxury cinema. It was again closed and was for sale in 2012.

In 2015, due to low patronage with mine closures in district, the following notice appeared "The theatre will be placed on care and maintenance until further notice".

The Paragon was sold in July 2017, and reopened as a multi-purpose venue for live music and other functions.



Return to TASMANIAN listings